Rown Oquirrhs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Havoc's Reviews: Plants vs Zombies

3 posters

Go down

Havoc's Reviews: Plants vs Zombies Empty Havoc's Reviews: Plants vs Zombies

Post  Havoc Sat May 01, 2010 3:16 pm

'cause this section looks like it could use a little love, here's a possible idea: share your thoughts on games you have played and if you recommend 'em.

SO! Here's one for me, of a little game I discovered a while back and bought on a sale, just 'cause of the premise alone. The premise, which is posted in the title.

The company Popcap Games is responsible for the Bejeweled games most people play online on their lunch break or when they're bored, so the idea of them making a surprisingly interesting strategy game. You are a homeowner, who has to protect your house (and brains) from hordes of undead. You have found an unexpected ally in your garden though. By planting certain kinds of plants, you protect your house (and brains) from the zombies who are advancing on your yard!

And that's basically it! Certain plants have certain benefits and nuances that help against the zombies, and you're gonna need 'em! As you're going to be facing more then just your garden-variety style zombie. Some will be wearing buckets on their heads, some will have ladders to climb over your defenses, others still will be bungee-jumping to snatch your plants and even a zombie bobsled team! The strategy in the game comes from picking the right plants and putting them in the right places. You need to plant sunflowers so you can plant other foliage that will fight the undead hordes. You'll be using cherry bombs, peashooters, mushrooms that explode and even catapults that throw watermelons!

It's all done in a very humorous cartoony-style of drawing. Every plant and zombie is clearly characterized and you can tell what they do just by looking at them. There are also puzzles that you can access after the game has been finished which adds to replay value. Some have you having to deal with a certain number, or some other situation, like playing a game of Bejeweled while the zombies advance on your house (and brains). My personal favorite is a mode called I Zombie, where you flip roles and it's now your turn to try and get into another's house (and brains).

If there was a flaw, I'd have to say that it's not something that is going to change the gaming landscape. There's little plot, as you really are doing exactly what the title suggests. The shop system that is included for purchasing some upgrades seems a little out of place, as if you want some of the nicer plants you are gonna have to pony up the coins in-game, and like the guy who runs the shop says "Our prices are unbelievable!" Ya got that right!

But, in the end, those are small complaints, as every game must come down to one simple question: Is it fun? I have to say yes. It is fun. It's a little juvenile but that's part of the charm. There are plenty bits here to entertain a player, even if you don't find zombies your cup of tea, if only because it's so absurd and charming to begin with.

In all, there is a lot of stuff here, for a relatively cheap price (20 USD retail, and 10 USD on the Steam Content Delivery Service). Most importantly though, it's quirky and fun and will run on just about any computer.

Recommendation: You could do a heckuva lot worse then Plants vs Zombies when it comes to games for the price. The cartoony graphics, humorous premise and sounds all come together to form something unique and charming. Besides, defending your house (and brains) with a wide variety of plants is a lot of fun!
Havoc
Havoc
Valued Citizen

http://www.createforum.com/lighthouserefug/index.php?mforum=ligh

Back to top Go down

Havoc's Reviews: Plants vs Zombies Empty Re: Havoc's Reviews: Plants vs Zombies

Post  CindySue Sun May 02, 2010 1:43 am

Okay when we say games, do we mean computer games, video games or board games? I don't really play alot of computer games, except Sims. I love Sims. Ultimate barbie dolls! But instead of stuffing barbies dress with a doll shirt to make her look pregnant, my Sim can actually get pregnant and waddle around the house!
I do play a lot of board games, so I'll talk about one of those. My hubby and I found the best board game ever from a book we bought to read on road trips. The book is called Would You Rather. It asks you odd questions on which option you would pick. ei :Would you rather always climb out the window of your car or always get in through the passenger door?
Some question are just...weird and you desperately want to pick neither but thats the fun part. This last year I found the board game of Would You Rather. Its been a blast. Everyone ends up debating why they picked which option, its fun and funny.
CindySue
CindySue
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  Havoc Sun May 02, 2010 10:36 am

Most of the stuff I'll post here prolly will relate to computer stuff. But don't let that discourage you from sharing board game experiences!

For me the "Would you Rather" games are hit and miss, mostly just because you can think up some really twisted examples. Examples I will leave to your imagination.
Havoc
Havoc
Valued Citizen

http://www.createforum.com/lighthouserefug/index.php?mforum=ligh

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Tue May 04, 2010 11:24 am

Havoc I must agree with your Plants vs Zombies assesment. 'Tis a fun game, will make you crazy (stupid night time raids). Four thumbs up for Popcap Games.

I personally have been addicted to Cake Mania, Popcap used to have it, but I think it wasn't very popular. It's a little strategy, a little beating that blasted clock. You help a gal remodel her grandmas old shop by selling cakes! You gotta bake 'em, frost 'em, and get them to the right customer in a timely manner. It starts out easy, 3 colors of frosting 3 cake shapes, but it gets more indept after awhile.

Before you know it customers are out the door screaming for stacked cakes, cakes with two differnt colored frosting, or put a toy on it. After each round, if you win, you get more money to upgrade and get stuff that helps you. Like a display shelf which, if filled before hand, will attracted the customers eye and you wont have to make a cake for them, just hand it over. However it must be kept full.

You also have the options to sell cookies, and coffe. But in my oppion it just makes you run more, and helps your stress level rise to unseen heights. I usually just stick to upgrading my shoes and the ovens and the display case.

It's tough, and fun, and crazy, but I find it exhilarating and love to beat my own score. I got the expansion pack.. thing, so I get to do the same thing (basically) with a Sushi Restaurant, Flower Shop, and Burger Joint.

It's worth a free 1 hour download, if not the $7.. (I think) I paid for it.
Stone
Stone
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  CindySue Tue May 04, 2010 12:02 pm

If there was a game for cake making you would find it. Thats funny, I'll have to check out Pop games, or whatever its called. I love bejeweled and play as often as I can.
CindySue
CindySue
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down