Rown Oquirrhs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Incarnations of Immortality

3 posters

Go down

Incarnations of Immortality Empty Incarnations of Immortality

Post  CindySue Tue May 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Amber is having me read the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony. The books are about the immortal characters Death, Time, Fate, Mother Nature, War, Satan and God. In the series theses are just offices, jobs that normal people can assume. More then one person can have this job, it is not the same being through out eternity.
I’ve read On A Pale Horse. The book follows Zane who is interrupted committing suicide and accidentally kills Death instead. He is forced to assume the office of Death and becomes Thanatos.
I’m in the middle/end of reading Bearing An Hour Glass. This one follows Norton, who after many events and misfortunes he is offered the office of Time as the current Time is leaving office. He becomes Chronos.
Oh My Goodness, this is the most confusing book I have ever read. Amber!! Honestly I don’t know how anyone can read this and not have smoke coming out their ears. I didn't know paradox was such a big issue!
It is a good book, very insightful and intelligently written. Only if you’re not as intelligent as the author you are confused from the out set. I honestly think that He started making up stuff and contradicted himself a lot. But sense it was so official sounding and the reader was already scratching their head they don’t notice the inconsistencies. If there even are any, I can’t tell, and I bet dimes to doughnuts that the Author was just as confused after he finished writing.
I’m soldiering through though. I’m intrigued and curious about how it ends. And I really want to read the next book, With A Tangled Skein, this ones about Fate and her aspects Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos; And Amber says its her favorite.
My mother and most of her siblings have read this series and they also say it’s good. So here I am reading this book that I don’t understand and makes me put it down every five pages!
However I am enjoying it, and I’ll finish the series. I’ll keep you posted!
CindySue
CindySue
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Incarnations of Immortality Empty Re: Incarnations of Immortality

Post  Shadow Wed May 19, 2010 8:01 am

I have only read On a Pale Horse, I like it. I hope to read more of them, however the references of paradox really has me wanting to read them. lol

Shadow
Friendly Neighbor

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Wed May 19, 2010 10:32 am

I told you it was one of the most confusing intriguing books I'd ever read. I wanted to throw it across the room on many, MANY occasions. The rest arn't nearly as confusing, but you have to admit, time is a hard thing to tackle. Though I think having him travel backwards to the world makes it harder, but it makes sense.. sometimes.

Shadow I think you would really like it. I recommend it to everyone!!
Stone
Stone
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  CindySue Wed May 19, 2010 12:14 pm

I still don't understand why he had to live backwards. Except to confuse everyone more then they already were. So not only are we dealing with the thrid person rule, the paradox thing, the colors of the hourglass and him trying not to spin out into space;we also have to put in the fact that he is living backward from the rest of the world! And as he says, its lonely, even with the other incarnations. Even though Fate/Clotho spends time with him, she doesn't remember because it was in her future and he's moving toward her past. Confusing,Confusing!!
CindySue
CindySue
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Thu May 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Tell me about it, I think the Author must have either been high as to not stress or was ready to go into hysterics after he was finished. I know I was.
Stone
Stone
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum