Rown Oquirrhs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This books about a Dog??

4 posters

Go down

This books about a Dog?? Empty This books about a Dog??

Post  CindySue Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Wow its been a long time sense I've been on this site. I miss it actually now that I'm getting into the swing of things again.
I've also discovered that I have a problem. I didn't realize that you could get addicted to reading and completely block out the world for months at a time while being in a book. The reason I haven't been in on the forum in months, is because I've either been reading or I've been at work. In the past three months I've read at least 50 books. Thats about 4 books a week.
I'm not going to get into the reasons of why, or my on personaly problems.
What I'm here to tell you is to Never Ever Ever read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time By Mark Haddon

Don't do it. I'd go into it more if I didn't have to run off to work in about ten minutes. so I'll come back to it and tell you more.
CindySue
CindySue
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

This books about a Dog?? Empty Re: This books about a Dog??

Post  Stone Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:01 pm

Why would anyone read that? It's title is reminiscent of "Snakes on a plan!" It just sounds stupid. Theres a dog, in a curious night.

"The night was sultry." ten cookies to who ever can name the quote.
Stone
Stone
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  CindySue Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:32 pm

I can't name to quote, but you've got it wrong. The book isn't about a dog at all. Well it starts out that way, but it ends in an autistic boy running away from home to his mother who he thought was dead, but she actually just left him and his father to sleep with another man.
I'm sorry if I'm unfeeling and callus, but I really hope that not all autisitic children are like this, because if they are...well I hate them all. I could have killed this kid and not really cared. Okay thats not true, but I could have kicked him really hard.

I can't even start to imagine what is inside someones head who is mentally handicap. It must be very difficult, and I should be more understanding and sympathetic. This author writes from the view point of an autistic boy of 15, and he goes into detail about what hes thinking, feeling. Why he wants to do or not do certain things. Most of which are understandable and even allowable. But wanting to stab someone because you are feeling tired and confused from the math test that you are taking; and the only reason you won't stab the only other person in the room is because they are the test moderator and if you do stab them then you can't finish your testing. I can't understand or rationalize this type of thinking. Thats whats stopping you from hurthing some one? The fact that you wouldn't be able to finish your test. The book is full of random tangents and facts. Tangents that put Robin Micknleys circles to shame.

But you know what, its really up to the reader to decide if they want to read this book or not. These are only my opinons; and the book was on the national best sellers list, so who knows, it may just be me. The person who recommended the book to me liked it enough to bring it up, so what do I know. Happy reading
CindySue
CindySue
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:49 pm

I love you dearly sister, but of course it doesn't make sense, thats why he is mentally handicapped (sp?) His thinking is not normal. I'm not a saint and judging you, personally I don't think I could have read the book. Its not a book you can relate too, or understand, it would frustrate me. But I think it would be interesting to see the flip side, what he thinks and feels, just see, not understand.

Anyway, sorry you didn't like it, and it spazed you out. *hugs*
Stone
Stone
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  CindySue Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:54 pm

::slightly sobbing:: it did spaze me out, I've never read a book I've hated so much. Heck after I reached the halfway point I stopped reading and just skipped until I saw dialogue so I could finish the it faster
CindySue
CindySue
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  R.K. Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:19 pm

Don't feel bad about skipping to dialogue...I do that on most reads. Oops! But I didn't like the sound of the book and think it sounds worse the more I hear about it.
R.K.
R.K.
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvanus Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm going to say it's poorly thought through from the autistic people thinking strangely. It's commonly believed that autistic people think exactly as normal people do, just not at as high a level as a fully functioning brain allows. In fact, many autistic children are actually incredibly smart, just slower at processing.
Silvanus
Silvanus
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  CindySue Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:13 pm

I understand that. I have a nephew who is, well to put it nicely, he's all kinds of messed up. His uncle adopted him when his biological mom and dad got put in prison.(So he's my husbands adopted nephew) His biological parents had more drugs in their system then a RiteAid, so Lance and his older brother were adopted out. Lance is my nephew, he's 10. He's very smart, and catches on to most things quickly. Especially if its math or science related, he loves loves loves that stuff and he's very good at it. But he's very ADD, Autistic,OCD, and about another handful of mental problems.

What I just didn't understand, I guess. Was how this boy rationalized hurting other people because he didn't want to be touched, or because he was confused. Through out the book he wanted to hit people, and did. He beat up a police man and his father; just because they touched his shoulder to comfort or calm him.

Lance isn't like that. Some times he doesn't understand that if he kicks a block at you it'll hurt, or if he pushes to hard it will hurt. But he doesn't hurt on purpose, and once he's told not to do something and is explained to the reason why, he understands and won't do it again. He's very reasonable most of the time. When he gets over tired, like any child, he'll start to cry or get upset, or scream at the top of his lungs. but he calms down quickly.

From watching Lance, and what I read about the kid in the book, I think the author took some limited knowledge and went with it. Or maybe my nephew is a special case. I'll never know. I just know I hated that book and I'll never read again or recommend it.
CindySue
CindySue
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvanus Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:21 pm

My experiences certainly side with yours, as I'm sure you can see from my previous post. I would have to agree with you that the author was probably trying to work on a limited knowledge.
Silvanus
Silvanus
Valued Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down